Thursday, May 20, 2010

Whither human rights?

Was it suicide? Was he pushed?
Words cant describe the feeling I have when I got wind that the Federal Court in its infinite wisdom had decided that it was ok for the MACC to "interrogate witnesses" after office hours. I must confess that I have yet to view the actual judgement pesently. I am just goin by way of media reports.
Having said that it is my humble view that the Federal Court is wrong on this score. There are so much abuses and frailties in the present system. Again in my view there are numerous weaknesses in the present system of "interrogation" of witnesses/suspects/accused persons, be it by the police or the MACC. It is my view that all the safeguards against human rights abuses must be put in place first and all weaknesses ironed out before the such powers are to be given to institutions like the MACC. The system must be fail proof to ensure that there would not be a repeat of cases like the untimely death of Teoh Beng Hock.
Was it suicide? Was he pushed? .........Ahhh so many questions! We are no where near the truth today then the day Teoh died. Simply mind boggling!
Anyway, in my book the present Federal Court ruling makes no sense from a human rights perspective, bearing in mind the weaknesses in the system presently.
Sad today.
M.V Nathan

No comments: