Thursday, May 22, 2008

Free them or charge them in court!


Free all the ISA detainees

To me the ISA is one very draconian and archaic piece of legislation. As a matter of fact the ISA should have been abolished a long time ago. I have been saying this for a long time now. It is not because of HINDRAF or any other groups that I am saying this now. This law is cruel and if I may add is actually a very uncivilised piece of legislation.


I am of the humble opinion that any person accused of doing any wrong is entitled to be tried in open court in a fair and just manner. To do otherwise would be harsh, unjust and in gross breach of the principles of natural justice.


Our government continues to use the ISA on persons accused of undermining the security of the nation. This government justifies the use of the ISA as a necessary tool to ensure the peace and stability of this country. I cant disagree more. History has shown that many of the ISA detainees in this country were detained for their differences in political ideology. Ask any man on the street and chances are you would get that answer!


There are many horror stories told about detention under the ISA; especially under the 60 days period where many are abused and alleged to be tortured. I have met the wife of one ISA detainee who claims that her husband is today paralysed and is in a wheelchair today as a result of torture!!! This case was reported in the NST recently.

I say abolish the ISA. What say you?

Cheers,

M V Nathan


No comments: