Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Breach of article 152 ?

Whylah ? Arghhh.......!

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I read the papers today that Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka is opposing the road signs put up by the Penang state government. They say to do so would be in breach of the Article 152 of the Federal Constitution. This morning not being to happy of this new development I checked up on Article 152. All it says is that the National language shall be the Malay language and it shall be in the script as Parliament by law provide. As far as I know putting up road signages in languages in addition to the ones in Malay do not make it ipso facto breach of Article 152. The road signs are mere tools to direct and assist people at certain popular tourist spots. I believe no one is questioning the National language. I for one love the Malay language. As I come from Melaka it is also my favourite language when it comes to conversing with my friends and even family at times. Merely by having additional road signs in other languages cant necessarily mean that the National language has been disrespected. Sorry Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka I think you people are making a fuss over nothing! I think you guys be better off doing something more useful lah!
Cheers,
M V Nathan

No comments: