Monday, March 2, 2009

Whither democracy ?

The fabric of Democracy in tatters or unravelled ?

I have to declare that I am distressed and absolutely gutted that the state of Perak is in its present mess. The political impasse there is getting to a point where I seriously fear something really bad is about to happen. Why are the political games that are being played continuing to happen at the expense of the rakyat?
It is absolutely shocking to read that the police has now joined in the fray in the political drama that is unfolding in Perak. The police instead of being neutral and impartial now stands accused of lending its weight to the BN party. I am of the opinion that the police has no business in this political drama. By allowing itself to be used by the BN it must be interpreted to mean that the police has lost all sense of decency and impartiality. Putting up barricades to disallow the sitting of the DUN Perak is unconstitutional I dare say. The Speaker had made his ruling and therefore the Secretary of the Dewan has no legal right nor option to overrule the Speaker's ruling. To even bring the Speaker's decision to call for the special sitting to court also tantamount to creating a very bad precedent for the nation. The job and functions of the Speaker from now on will now be open to challenge by anyone and everyone who refuses to abide by the Speaker's rulings. Surely this is inviting chaos ?
Though I was raised in Melaka I must declare that I was born in Perak. My IC has the number 08 clearly declaring that I am a native of that state. I used to be very proud that I was born in the state that has the former Lord President as its Sultan. HRH's judgements have withstood the tests of time in that it is still being quoted and referred to in the courts. I myself have used HRH's judgements on many an occasion before in court. As I am writing this I cant help but feel disappointed that HRH, a man known for his fairness and sound legal reasoning in the past had not taken the best option in resolving the political impasse in Perak . Isn't it obvious that the best solution in all this would be to take matters back to the rakyat ? Isn't it best to call for fresh elections to end the people's misery in not knowing who is in charge of the state ? Isn't it the best option for fresh elections to be called to end this unwanted drama and to let the real task of ensuring that the Rakyat do not suffer much during these uncertain economic times ?
I pray that there will be a peaceful solution to end all this soon. Real soon!
M V Nathan

No comments: