Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


Today I take a break from the usual rant to write in honour of all fathers out there. Its not easy being a father I tell you. You have to be a role model, disciplinarian, friend etc. No easy task I tell you. I guess I am not the best of models as many would agree ... so many flaws in the blue print! Anyway I try to do my best.
I have two sons aged 12 and 10 respectively. They are growing up so fast that sometimes it scares me. I think I still see them as babies still not realising that they are no longer such. Susahlah ! Now they tell me how I should exercise and eat less! Aiyoh ! Susahlah!
I can imagine in a few years time they would also want to spread their wings and fly far from the nest.Not too far guys, ok! Oh dear! How I dread the day! Guys, I hope both of you would grow up to be good and make me proud. Be all that you can be and always speak the truth.

This day also reminds me of my late father. He passed on in October 2000. He was a man of few words. I guess you can say he was a very reserved man who kept his thoughts very private. But you know what, he managed to raise 8 kids on his meagre income as a storekeeper with the government. Now that in my book was an achievement! I do not think I am capable of doing what he had accomplished.

I also remember how my father being a strict disciplinarian that he was, used to cane me when I was younger. My other siblings never got it as much as I did. Well, you can say I was a little "hyper-nakal" when I was younger. Ha-ha!!! I remember running around the house with my father chasing after me. Anything can be the rotan those days,I tell you. Most of the time it was a branch from the Jambu tree that we had in our house compound. No point buying when can get free right? Ha-ha!!!

Anyway Pa, thanks for all the lessons in life. Though it has been 8 years I still miss you a lot. I hope to be at least half the man you were. Wherever you may be Pa , May you always be well and happy!



Love always,


M V Nathan

No comments: