Sunday, June 1, 2008

National Service not in service?

"Tak Nak" to NS !!!


Why is it that I keep reading in the papers about how some poor kid in the National Service has either been molested, fallen ill, or even died? How many more times do we have to read in the papers that some poor kid has died or fallen ill in the National Service camps ? Look no further than today's NST at page 8 today.
I am a father of two boys. I dread the day when my sons are old enough to be drafted into the National Service programme. Frankly I simply don't have any confidence in the National Service programme currently in place. I tell you it is not ok when you hear people say "Oh.. it is only normal that people fall sick or die...It is bound to happen. Very normal..!!!" . I am lost for words when I hear or read things like this. Words just fail me!!! My brains freeze up and I am unable to respond in any way. What logic...
Imagine you sending your child for National Service hale and healthy and imagine what it would feel like when you receive a phone call informing you that he/she is dead and that you are to collect the remains at a particular hospital mortuary!!!Imagine the pain and sufferings of the parents and the other loved ones. Oh the horror!!!
Firstly I don't think by having a programme of three months the youth of our country are going to be better integrated, thereby forging better national unity amongst the races. I say this is wishful thinking on the part of the politicians! Nothing more and nothing less! It is absolute rubbish! Should you wish to have better unity amongst the races stop having the divisive politics and policies that discourage racial integration.
I say it is time that we reviewed the entire NS programme. If we cant run it in a safe and healthy environment...STOP THE PROGRAMME!!! We don't need to read about another kid falling sick neither do we need to read about another kid dying. And to all the government officials who say it is ok to have one or two deaths; I say no!It is never ok!!! Time to go back to the drawing board. Lets get it right and avoid all the undesirable/unwanted situations at all costs. Nothing else shall suffice.
On a happier note I am glad that the situation in Bandar Mahkota Cheras has finally been resolved; albeit temporarily pending all the legal suits. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed just for luck! You never know...... I am too much of a sceptic sometimes!
Peace always,
M V Nathan

No comments: