Monday, June 2, 2008

Would you be someones proxy?

Easy money anyone...?
I was with a friend for a cup of tea late yesterday evening. Tea was accompanied by the usual chit chat as most chit chats are about these days. I don't know about you but chances are these days we tend to talk about sugar levels, cholesterol and other health related matters. Must be a sign of growing old I guess. Funny how we will also talk about wanting to do more exercise. Yeah.. that's right just talk! My wife says the only exercise I ever do these days are when I chew my food in my mouth or when I move my fingers when I switch channels on my TV remote. Ha-Ha!!!
Anyway, the usual chat took a slight change from the norm. Something my friend said yesterday has kept me thinking on the subject, so much so that I felt I needed to post it here. He said, what if some rich and powerful politician was to ask you to be his proxy in some big company. Of course you are there to ensure that the politician's interests in the company are well protected. You see he cant be seen to be remotely connected with the company and its affairs. And that is why he needs you to be his proxy! Would you do it ? You would be paid handsomely for your troubles maybe even in the millions!... he added. The only slight setback is that you have to stand as guarantor to the loans that the company takes out with banks from time to time. Would you do it ? He asked again...think man, you would lead a jet setting lifestyle!
Well the answer my friend got from me left him wondering if there was something seriously wrong with me! I said "NO!" I told him that I was too independent in my views and that I valued my independence too much. I just cant stomach the idea of being someones stooge. Just me I guess. Terribly flawed!
My friend says that I am being very silly!. He says that I was not being practical as well. He says that I should be thinking about my family and their welfare. "Think about all the good you can do with all the money that you have"... he added. Money is no longer a problem to you. Total financial freedom. That's when I said " At what cost?"
My friend before leaving said this "The ends justifies the means mate... Think about it!"
What say you ? Does the ends justify the means ?
Cheers,
M V Nathan

No comments: